A Saturday in September

Talk about a busy day. First we got Walter off to his baseball double-header. Then I went to church for music rehearsal. Here's the view on the T. That's what we call the subway here. Pretty, huh?

Then we all went to catch the second baseball game. It felt like summer today!! So gorgeous outside - warm and a bit muggy with a nice breeze.
The next few hours were a scramble from one soccer game to home for a bite to eat to another soccer game, the grocery store and time in the kitchen to make food to share.

We ended the day at our neighborhood block party. Always such a fun event, complete with bouncy house, lots to eat, too much sugar for the kids, road closed down, face painting, bikes, babies and great neighbors.

Sometimes I feel tired before the weekend even starts. I'm really praying about the idea that we can find rest even in times of extreme business. I tend to whine when I'm overly busy. I really don't want to complain, especially about things that WE HAVE CHOSEN (for the most part). I think our hearts can find rest even when our bodies are busy, and that can make us feel refreshed. I need to ponder this further.
What do you think? Come on, I know you're out there!

Comments

  1. Hold on let me dust off my soap-box. There we go, I’m ready.
    First - I think the easiest thing is to just say “no” to too many activities. That’s harder for some people to do than others. I’m mostly thinking of my sister Melissa here. She’s what we call our busy bee. No one overloads their day like she can. It can get crazy sometimes. But when I start to see I’m going to be going to too many places and do too many things (even if it’s things I like, or LOVE) sometimes, you just have to say “NO, maybe next time”. It’s easy to say that EVERYTHING on your list is “important” to go to or do… but I think more often than not, that’s not really the case.
    Second - You know what helps my stressful days? I listen to the relax station on the radio. That’s where they play really old – calm type of music. I use to hate it as a kid when my dad would put it on, but I actually now get why he liked it… it relaxes you. I also listen to Barry Manilow on my computer and I’ve started to make a mix CD of songs I think are calming-easy going type of music.
    Third – making sure you make time to put God first in the day (but I’m sure you guys do that already). I feel like when prayers, and scriptures study happens earlier in the day, God gives me more energy to handle everything I’ve got to do in the day. And posting favorite scriptures up on the walls of my home throughout the house (the bathroom is a great place) to read and refreshing my spirit throughout the day. Ones like “Prov. 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thin own understanding.”, “D&C 10:4 Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength…” “John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
    Fourth – eating right, not skipping meals and sleeping 9 hours at night will bring balance to the body and mind.
    Five – take moments to slow down. Take vanilla lotion with you on the T and have your kids rub your feet! Or sing a hymn on your way to the park.
    Those are my ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts