Luther on the law and righteousness

Let us then be careful to learn to discriminate between these two kinds of righteousness, so that may know how far we ought to obey the law. We have already seen that for a Christian the law ought to have dominion only over the flesh. When it is so, the law is kept within bounds. But if it presumes to creep into your conscience and tries to reign there, you must make the right distinction. Give no more to the law than is right, but say, "You want to climb up into the kingdom of my conscience, do you, Law? You want to reign over it and reprove sin and take away the joy I have by faith in Christ and drive me to desperation? Keep within your bounds, and exercise your power over the flesh, but do not touch my conscience. By the Gospel I am called to share righteousness and everlasting life. I am called to Christ's kingdom, where my conscience is at rest and there is no law, but rather forgiveness of sins, peace, quietness, joy, health, and everlasting life. Do not trouble me in these matters, for I will not let an intolerable tyrant like you reign in my conscience, which is the temple of Christ, the Son of God. He is the King of my righteousness and peace, my sweet Saviour and Mediator; he will keep my conscience joyful and quiet in the sound, pure doctrine of the Gospel and in the knowledge of Christian and heavenly righteousness."

From Luther's preface to his commentary on Galatians

I am thinking of all these things as I prepare for the CTK Women's Retreat in about a month. I will be teaching about passive versus active righteousness, or, how Christ's righteousness is now our own. I am really looking forward to the retreat in general, and am praying that I can clearly organize my thoughts and effectively communicate the Gospel. If you pray, pray for me!


Comments

  1. I am so excited that you are teaching. When is the retreat? I am and will be praying for you and all who attend.
    Love you much,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts