What's on my mind.

For Christmas I received a nice little cash gift from my dear in-laws.  Over the last 6 weeks, I've been carefully considering what I wanted to purchase with this gift.
At first, I thought I might want to get these boots that I've been eyeing.
Then I thought about this device I've heard highly recommended.  You know, you only have one skin and one face...
Many other things flitted across my mind...new bedding for our bed, things for the children (I know!!! It's supposed to be for ME!).
Finally, I came to a decision.  Here is what I spent (most of) my Christmas money on:


Now, two of the books in the stack are ones I already owned.  One is a library book.  However, this pile represents many of the things occupying my thoughts and prayers and hopes and wonderings these days.
Let's start from the bottom up.
I mentioned the Keller book last week.  Just read it.  All of you.  I mean it.
What's Eating Your Child? The Hidden Connections Between Food and Childhood Ailments...the rest of the subtitle is really long.  I am mostly convinced that some of Theo's learning troubles can be remediated and greatly helped by changing his nutrition.  I find this stuff fascinating, and also a bit overwhelming.  But I really want to do WHATEVER I can to help this little guy succeed.  He deserves it.
The Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo.  I have had this book for years, and skimmed it several times.  I feel that it is time to read it again, for me and for them.  
Parenting Teens with Love and Logic.  Are you familiar with the Love and Logic principles?  These ideas really resonate with me.  One thing I like about the L & L books is that they provide a big frame on which to hang your parenting, and they also give you nitty-gritty advice for the daily situations parents face. Best of all, when I have been mature enough to put these ideas into practice, they really WORK.  
Introverts in the Church:  Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture by Adam McHugh.  This book was recommended to me (by someone I highly esteem) after a comment I made on Facebook about loving days when I don't have to talk too much.  While I am much less of an introvert than I used to be -- in fact, some might be surprised to hear that I am indeed an introvert -- I still NEED time away in the quiet to process and recover.  I'm interested in reading this for myself, but also for those in the church who struggle with the perceived expectation that everyone needs to be an extrovert.
Jesus Calling for Kids and Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  I have been hearing about this devotional for a few years now, but felt somewhat skeptical.  Then not long ago, I was surprised to hear someone I really trust say that she was enjoying it.  Then Theo told me his teacher has been reading the kids' version in their class.  So I decided to give it a go.  The daily entries are short and written in the first person, like Jesus Himself is talking to you.  If you have used it, let me know what you think!
Grace-Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel.  I think that I heard this recommended somewhere along the way, but I bought it mainly because it is endorsed by people I trust, and I need GRACE in my PARENTING.  Hopefully this book can help me.  I also really liked the tagline at the bottom of the cover:  set your family free.


So, it would seem that I have my work cut out for me, would it not?! My husband jokes that someday he needs to be thrown in jail so that he will have TIME to read everything he needs and wants to read.  Maybe I should try it?


Have a great weekend!

Comments

  1. GREAT way to spend your Christmas money! Thanks for all of the good reviews that you included with the list.

    I can endorse Grace-Based Parenting. It's fabulous and set me free in some big ways; I should re-read it!

    Happy reading! Is it snowing up your way? Perfect day to snuggle up and get in a few chapters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. grace-based parenting is on my bookshelf too. i love you kit. you mean the world to me. thank you sooo much for prayers... tonight, my husband is particularly feeling weary. love to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard of the Whole Brain Child by Dan Siegel? Awesome stuff!! Explains brain development and how it relates to parenting in language that is easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts