More on idolatry...isn't this FUN?!???

Here is a quote from Tertullian, one of the first theologians and apologists of the Church.  It is a quote referenced by our pastor in his sermons the past two weeks.  The idea here has really stayed with me, and given me much food for thought.

"The principle crime of the human race, the highest guilt charged upon the world, the whole procuring cause of judgment, is idolatry.  For although each individual sin retains its own proper feature, although it is destined to judgment under its own proper name also, yet they all fall under the general heading of idolatry...(All murder and adultery, for example, are idolatry, for they arise because something is loved more than God - yet, in turn, all idolatry is murder because it assaults God, and all idolatry is adultery for it is unfaithfulness to God.)  Thus it comes to pass, that in idolatry all crimes are detected, and in all crimes idolatry."

I'd love to hear your thoughts.  
Let's just get personal.  What idols are in your life?  What good things are you tempted to make into ultimate things?  
Talk amongst yourselves.

Comments

  1. Kit, thank you for this. The problem of inappropriate identity construction reminds me of Jeremiah 2:13.

    "For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, The fountain of living waters, To hew for themselves cisterns, Broken cisterns That can hold no water."

    Can you imagine digging our own broken cisterns? How foolish. It's just not worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit, I've been thinking a lot about this too. I feel like my list of idols seems endless! I resonate with your list from the previous post; I get angry quickly when things don't go my way and I don't feel in control - could be of my time, children, husband, you name it! I think I worship my ability to be admired for having it all together, which is just a facade anyway for those who know me well. :)

    What has struck me during communion these last few weeks is that THIS is what Jesus died for. We are so rotten, such idol worshipers, and God still sent his Son. It overwhelms me that He took the wrath for the depth, height, width, and breadth of our sin in expression of the depth, height, width, and breadth of His love for us. Woah! Get me to the table!!!

    (Thanks for these posts, I've just begun lurking on your blog. This is Heather Ashe.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts