T minus 43 hours and counting

Yea! It's Thanksgiving vacation! I didn't have to teach today, and the boys are off starting tomorrow. Even John is taking tomorrow off, so we are officially on break!

Let the mad cooking and cleaning begin! On Thursday we will be 19 around the table (more likely two tables...or three). It is going to be so fun! I do love Thanksgiving and all the cooking, preparing, not the cleaning, and the great fun to be together. I grew up with big Thanksgiving celebrations, with cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents, and sometimes a few friends thrown in the mix. The only family who will be here this Thanksgiving will be my brother and his girlfriend, but I am so thankful that we can host so many other wonderful friends and friends of friends.

John and I will do a good bit of cooking tomorrow, but our friends are also bringing things (thank goodness!).
Here is what will be brought by friends (as far as we know):

Fried turkey
Sweet potatoes
Green beans
Cornbread dressing
Pumpkin cake
Great-grandmother's rolls
Salad

We will round out the menu with the following:

Glazed ham
Mashed potatoes
Cranberries in red wine
Whiskey glazed carrots
Jello salad (a Texas Thanksgiving staple)
Pumpkin spice rolls
Nutmeg Maple Cream pie (to DIE for!!!)
Honeyed Apple Pie

What am I forgetting? Probably something. So far the cranberries are done, and I plan to make my pastry crust tonight. Maybe the congealed salad as well. I've also got to iron the napkins and set out the china, etc.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. I am also hoping to actually sleep between now and then.

Comments

  1. I love hosting Thanksgiving as well. We've had it at our place for the past few years. This year Matt's parents, his brother, wife and little girl will be coming in from Ohio. My parents and sister and her hubby will be with us as well. I am hoping I will be able to enjoy the next few days, early pregnancy a head cold and a sick little boy are slowing me down. My sister will be here tomorrow and I hope to get my pumpkin pecan pie done. I am doing the turkey for the first time, I am a bit nervous about that, hoping it is thawed by tomorrow so that I can start the brining process. I hope you guys have a great day and enjoy being together, don't we have so much to be thankful for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap that is a huge menu!!! i'm definitely coming to your house for leftovers... if there are any. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts