A little story about prayer

Last night and this morning, I had the opportunity to attend a seminar on personal prayer with Paul Miller, author of A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World.
I read Miller's book last year and was greatly encouraged by it.  I've found my prayer life to be much richer and freer since reading it. 
I hope to post here a few highlights from the seminar that were not in the book.  But I don't think I'll have the brain power for that until after Monday when I turn in my report cards.


So for now I want to tell you a little story about Theo and prayer.
The boys' school has a month-long basketball program called March Madness.  While Theo had at one point expressed his interest in attending March Madness, I neglected to register him by the deadline.
The day before the program was to start Theo started in begging me to talk to the school secretary to see if he could still participate.  He hounded me to email, call, DO SOMETHING!  
I assured him that I would talk to her just as soon as I could in the morning.  You know, when someone would actually be in the office.  Meanwhile, I was pretty sure that all the slots were taken and it would be a no-go.
The next morning, a Tuesday, Theo told me in the kitchen before we left for school, "Mom, I feel good, I feel really strong today.  Because last night I prayed that God would let me be able to do March Madness."
He was so pleased, so happy and sure.  All the way to school I had to promise repeatedly that I would speak to Mrs. Z. about it.
Inside school, I asked if there might be any chance of Theo's still signing up.
Mrs. Z. told me, "Well, you know, it was all full.  But just yesterday someone dropped out, so we have one more slot."
Ooo, Mr. Theo, you are in luck!
I couldn't wait to tell Theo after school that God had said "yes" to his prayer!
At pick up that day, Theo said as he got into the car, "Mrs. Z. told me that I'm going to March Madness!"  He was so pleased.
"Theo!  God said 'yes' to your prayer!"
"Oh yeah," he said. "So in my whole life now I've had TWO prayers answered."
I'm smiling inside now.
"Oh really?  What was the other one?"
"Oh, it was about the Barrs.  Having a baby."
The Barrs are our friends from church who are indeed having a long-awaited baby.  Sweet Theo was praying for them.


Comments

  1. two prayers. he knows God hears his prayers; beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts