Favorite Muffins

I made muffins this morning.  I used my go-to recipe, the one that I cut out from Cooking Light lo many moons ago, and the one I use again and again.  I like that it's quick and easy and that I can vary it depending on what I have around.
Most often I make banana/allspice muffins, but pear/cinnamon comes in a very close second.  I don't tend to make berry muffins because there are certain members of the family who will not eat muffins with CHUNKS of anything.  
But if you like chunks, you could try one of these:  blueberries and lemon rind; chopped apples or pineapple with cinnamon; and cranberries with orange rind.
I'm going to include the basic recipe here, with a few caveats.
One, I've had success with using half white and half whole-wheat flour.
Two, the more you mash up the fruit, the more moist your muffins will be.  Also, if the batter seems a bit dry when you first stir it, add a bit more milk, or buttermilk, if you have it on hand.
Three, I don't often sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top, as in the picture above.  But when I do...yum.
Oh, and I had planned to post a picture of the finished product but they were ALL GONE before I could get a picture!

Basic Muffin Recipe
adapted from Cooking Light

2 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar (you can try less)
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. chopped or mashed fruit
2/3 c. milk (any kind you have)
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 t. of flavoring (either the citrus rind or spice)
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and your spice flavoring, stirring with a whisk.
Stir in fruit, and make a well in the middle of the mixture.
Combine milk, butter, vanilla and egg in a separate bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.  Do not over-mix!
Spoon into muffin tin.  If desired, sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 400 to 18-20 minutes, or until they spring back when lightly touched.


 

Comments

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts