Love constraining to obedience

There is an old hymn I know that's been set to new music.
The last two verses as well as the chorus express so well my struggles and my thoughts of late.


 How long beneath the Law I lay
In bondage and distress
I toiled the precept to obey,
But toiled without success.

Chorus: To see the Law by Christ fulfilled,
To hear His pardoning voice,
Changes a slave into a child
And duty into choice.

 Then to abstain from outward sin
Was more than I could do
Now if I feel its power within
I feel I hate it too.

 Then all my servile works were done,
A righteousness to raise
Now, freely chosen in the Son,
I freely choose His ways.
(William Cowper)

Changes a slave into child; changes duty into choice.  To freely choose His ways because I am constrained by love.  To obey because I am loved, I am delighted in, I am a daughter, not an orphan, not a slave. 
Oh Lord, help me live like your daughter who is free to choose Your ways, free to live into who I truly am.
Just a few of my thoughts this Sunday.  See you tomorrow!

Comments

  1. Gotta love that William Cowper. And the word "constrained."

    Growing into this freedom with you...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts