Just sing




Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

"The reason why singing is such a splendid shield against the fiery darts of the devil is that it greatly helps us to forget him, and he cannot endure being forgotten.  He likes us to be occupied with him, with what he is doing (our temptations), with his victories (our falls), with anything but our glorious Lord.  So sing.  Never be afraid of singing too much.  We are much more likely to sing too little.
There are times, however, when we cannot sing aloud.  This verse covers that inward singing that so often lifts the heart Heavenward. God make us a singing company."

--Amy Carmichael, in my very favorite devotional of all time, "Edges of His Ways"

Comments

  1. Now I want to get a copy of that devotional (and sing more).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika! You would love this devotional. It's been my favorite for close to 20 years, always read just before my daily Scripture. And when I had little babies and could barely find the attention to really read Scripture, Amy would always bring me to the heart of the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already ordered the devotional. Went straight to Amazon after the quote. I rarely take the time to "blog-read" anymore....but delighted to find you here today! Hope you all are well. We got to have a fun four day visit with the Colquitts at the end of May. Took a trip to the beach where they live. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alisa! Great to hear from you! I think you will love Amy Carmichael's book. Sounds so fun, to have visited the Colquitts! We are doing well, looking forward to a good summer. Thankful for you, sister, and how you listen to the Father.

      Delete
  4. <3
    So glad you are blogging again!! Such an encouragement!! Miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheryl! It's great to hear from you. We miss you, too, and we miss our lives in Arlington/Boston. But God is always good and faithful! I'm glad you were encouraged.

      Delete
  5. I am going to buy that book too! Especially since I am in that season of little babies your comment mentioned. Amy Carmichael is always a great encouragement/inspiration to me and did you know, you gave me my first Amy Carmichael book at my graduation, Mimosa. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts