Favorite Corn Recipe

Wednesday is farmers' market day in our town. So yesterday I loaded up on some fresh corn, tomatoes, peaches, blueberries, arugula and greens.

Corn on the cob is always a hit. But sometimes I like to change it up a bit.
Here is a favorite way to prepare corn, sent to me by my mother many years ago. I believe it first appeared in Gourmet magazine. It's a bit spicy, which we love, but often I'll tone it down for the chilluns.

Ishmail Merchant's Cayenned Corn (yes, Ishmail Merchant of Merchant and Ivory film fame)

1. Cut as much uncooked fresh corn as you have mouths to feed (roughly one ear per person, maybe slightly more).
2. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the corn, a couple of chopped-up garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more if you like it spicy!) and salt to taste. Cook this mixture a few minutes over medium heat.
3. Add 1/2 cup cream (half-and-half or even milk will do; I've used all of them with success), cook the mixture for another 8 minutes or so and serve it hot.

It goes without saying that you can adjust the amounts depending on how many ears of corn you use!

Enjoy the taste of summer.

Comments

  1. mmm, that sounds amazing! I'm going to try it. I love the new blog header, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL! thanks kit! I LOVE getting recipes from friends and family! thanks so much! we will definently try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really yummy corn recipe! It's really a great simple recipe! You always surprise me with the recipes you know! Thanks for posting this one! I'll definitely make them tomorrow!

    Haley
    Arizona Liquor License

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts