Birfday!

Yesterday was my birthday!  Yay!  I don't know about you, but I think Facebook is the best thing that has ever happened to birthdays. Who doesn't want everyone they've ever known to say happy birthday to them?!  I have loved hearing from so many friends:  elementary school chums, college friends, friends who live on different continents and all over the United States, friends I don't even know in real life.  So fun and encouraging.
Yesterday I woke up to a sweet card from John (he is the BEST card writer.  I'm serious. He's mushy but not corny.  How is that even possible?) and these two beauties for the fridge.
I had Lucy home with me because of an minor eye injury she received on Monday, so she and I met with a friend to pray, went to Bible study as usual.  She was curled up on my lap for most the time, with her eyes closed; but I could hear her very quietly humming "Happy Birthday".  Sometimes she is so cute I can't stand it.
We met up with John for lunch and browsed a bit in a used book store.  I could do that for hours.
Later we picked up the boys at school.  They go to school in one of Boston's most beautiful neighborhoods.  I thought I would show you a bit of what it's like there.
First, here is an example of a beautifully curated window box.  These are a common sight in this 'hood.  People have gardeners just for their window boxes.
Here's an example of a sad little window box that deserves our pity.  What the?!  Dried up holly sprigs?  Is this left over from last Christmas, or is it a really early display for this year?  So confusing!
Then we walked down one of the cutest shopping streets in the city and I saw this display. Now I know what I DON'T want to do on November 10.  "Cultivating Ivy Style".  Oh.  My.  A book has been written on this topic.  Now Jesus will come back. 

Here are some other sights from the afternoon; pretty typical around these parts.

Mmmm hmmm.



Did you guys pop out of bed so early on Monday morning?  I did.  At 4:30 I was up for the day, and feeling great.  That's what the old "fall back" time change will do for you. Sadly, the benefits of that extra hour seemed to last only a day.  Yesterday, I was dragging myself out of bed at 5, as usual!  What?! In any case, I am enjoying the LIGHT in the morning.  The trade-off is that it is practically dark by 4 pm.  Sigh.  The early sunset did allow me to get this pic, though. I like the deep V in the middle.
We all went to dinner as a family for "Mexican" food.  It's the best you can get around here.  I am so thankful for all my people and glad to have birthdays with them. See, I always feel like I should be with the whole family for my birthday so that the children don't feel forgotten.  John, on the other hand, has no problem leaving them and going out for a romantic, fancy dinner for two.  How do you handle this one?

Then on the way home, John dropped me off to do a little birthday shopping with a gift card I received.  Yay!  A night off from putting people to bed!  The only problem was what you see below. See if you can tell me what is wrong with these pictures.


If you said that all you see are the colors cream, brown, black and BORING you are correct!  So so so so dull.  They must be in a rough patch.  I usually find lots of fun things at this store, but it can be hit or miss.  It's okay, I found a YELLOW jacket that was calling my name.
Then we all came home.  In addition to several wonderful birthday cards, I received this. Finally!  This is the question I've been asking myself for YEARS!
Exactly!  WHAT am I supposed to do about him?! I wish someone would tell ME!


Finally, I leave you with a classic birthday video.  I was sent this a few years ago by my friend, Karen, who also has three boys.  We love this video and maybe one or two of you will, too.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday a day late!! i need some magnets like that for my fridge. and that window box? so pretty. such a fun post -- so glad you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you were born! Hope you enjoy a wonderful year! As for me, I have standing engagement every year on my birthday with my two best girlfriends. We go to Greenville (nearby big city) for the day and shop and have lunch. My birthday is five days after Christmas, so it is always fun to hit the after Christmas sales and spend Christmas gift cards. Then I come home to a dinner out with my family. A great way to spend a birthday if I do say so myself! OH, and I need to see a pic of your new yellow coat! I love yellow anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit, this video is priceless! Love it! Glad you enjoyed your day and I can't wait to see your yellow coat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts