Purchased

Sometimes in church we sing "Before the Throne of God Above".  Last week I was struck by the words in the last chorus:  "One with Himself, I cannot die; my soul is purchased by His blood."
Purchased.  As in, Jesus bought us.  I found immense comfort in that idea.  But let's back up for a second.
What does it mean to buy something?  You trade your money for the thing you want.  Let's make it more personal.  I go into Nordstrom Rack.  I see a pair of boots I love.  I fork over the cash and they are mine. I walk out of the store.  Can the store clerk, or even the owner, chase me down and say, "Give me back those boots?"  No.  I bought them.  They are belong to me; I have a receipt for proof.  They have been purchased and cannot be taken away from me.
The same with our souls, if we belong to Jesus.  He purchased us with the currency of His own blood.  We belong to Him and no power in heaven or on earth can take us away from Him.  Even the depths of our own sin cannot separate us.  And for many of us, isn't that the thing we fear the most?  We think, "Oh, but I've been so bad.  I've not obeyed.  I've not honored Him.  I have MESSED UP."  Even our sin cannot take us away from Him, my friends. Our lives are hid in Him, hidden well away and impossible to steal from Him.  Rest in this assurance.  He knows you, He sees you, He longs for you.
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38, 39)

Comments

  1. Sometimes I sing without looking at the hymnal so I can really concentrate on the words I'm singing. There are some rich treasures buried inside familiar hymns. Thanks for highlighting this one. You're right. He owns me; he's not giving me back.

    Next thing I'm going to own is a new transmission for my car. Then we need to make plans to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kit.

    I love the verse in John when Jesus says that no one can snatch any of the sheep God gives to Him out of His hand. Purchased and we belong. I think it's going to take me a life-time to get it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts