This is yummy but keep it a secret

I don't know how many of you know this, but my husband is pretty much a vegan.  If you know John in real life, this may SHOCK you!  John is a Texas boy, and he loves his meat.  He loves barbecue (which, by the way, does NOT mean "meat cooked outside on the grill") and steak and all manner of meat.  But back in May, under the advice of his doctor, John made some major changes to his eating habits.  Ever since then, he has been the incredible shrinking man!
John's plan was to eat a vegan-ish diet, and to cut out all white stuff -- white flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, etc.  I have to admit, my first thoughts upon hearing this plan were something like, "Vegan?!?  Really?!? Can't you just go low carb?"  
Anyway, this plan has really worked for John.  He's lost over 40 pounds and looks amazing!  He also knew that it wouldn't really work for the family to suddenly change to an all vegan diet.  Trader Joe's and Whole Foods veggie burgers and other vegan dishes have been a life-saver.
While making dinner has never really been my forte, I have made some changes (because of John's plan) that are good for all of us, such as using only brown rice and whole wheat pasta.
So ANYWAYS. The whole point of this introduction is to give you the recipe for a wicked awesome, pretty healthy lasagna.  It's not vegan.  But it is vegetarian.  I found this in Real Simple many years ago.  In fact, it was the same article in which I found the recipe for the Strawberry Roll-up Cake!  Here it is.

1 lb. soft tofu (keep reading! it's worth it!)
1/2 c. grated Parmesan (I use fresh but you could use the stuff in the can/jar)
2 eggs
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. each fresh basil, thyme, oregano, or 2 t. each dried (OR, if you're like me and you never know what you might have, just use anything you can.  This last time all I had was dried oregano, and it was great!)
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. ground pepper (or more, if you love pepper like I do)
32 oz. tomato sauce (you can use the canned/jarred stuff, but it really tastes so much better if you make your own.  I use my friend Jen's EASY recipe HERE.)
no-boil lasagna noodles (however many it takes)
about 2 c. baby spinach
shredded mozzarella

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine tofu, Parmesan, eggs, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Coat a 13 X 9 pan with cooking spray.  Spread about a cup of sauce in pan and arrange a layer of noodles on top.  Spread with half the tofu mixture; top with half the spinach, a third of remaining sauce and a third of the mozzarella.  Repeat layers, ending up with noodles, sauce and cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil (though if you don't it will be OKAY!) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.  Let stand for 5 minutes before you cut it.

You will love this!  Just don't tell anyone about the tofu and it will all turn out fine.
 
 

 

Comments

  1. wow! I can hardly believe the news about John and yet admire his dedication to heeding the doc's orders. Good man!

    We'll have to give the recipe a try. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love knowing you've been here! Let's have a conversation.

Popular Posts