Candy

This is a great topic for the week before Halloween.

When I was growing up, we didn't have much candy. My mom used to give us Lifesavers when we were on road trips. It was usually the package with lots of fruit flavors and she would offer them one by one, flipping them gently from the tube with the tip of her thumbnail.

When the 7-11 opened within walking distance of our house, sometimes we would walk there to buy slurpees or candy. But weirdly, I don't have many memories of eating or having candy, except for on Halloween. The best thing on Halloween was coming back to our house and all dumping out our candy. Then we would categorize it and trade. Trade, trade, trade. And watch out for the apple with a razor blade in it. That was always the scary warning for us. Apples with razor blades.

Here are my candy stipulations.

Milk chocolate is gross. So insipidly sweet and mushy. No gracias. 

Now, that is not to say I won't eat milk chocolate in a pinch. But I prefer it with something else - in a peanut M & M or in a crunch bar.

Cadbury Eggs should not be consumed by humans. So yucky. I think I ate them when I was younger but now I am so much wiser.

Candy corn. No.

Definitely Twizzlers and NOT Red Vines. I love Twizzlers, especially at the movies or on a road trip. Or anytime, really. The real problem is that I can eat the whole package without assistance. 

I love a good dark chocolate. Just a little bit is nice.

I do love all the gummy candies that the dentists tell you are HORRIBLE for your teeth. I love gummy Life Savers in particular. But also gummy bears, Sour Patch Kids, Jelly Babies, and all the other gummy shapes (Coke bottles, peaches, fried eggs, worms, Swedish fish).

This is Clayton on his 17th birthday. I included it because he LOVES candy a little too much.

Comments

Popular Posts