TV

When I was growing up, we were not allowed to watch much TV. I remember my mom putting on the evening news most nights while she made dinner. I have memories of listening to Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather. 

If my mom was out in the afternoon and we were home alone in the afternoon, we would watch cartoons like Scooby Doo. But one of us would sit in the window seat so we could see if anyone drove up the driveway and we would jump to turn off the television and nonchalantly act as though we had been reading the whole time, or playing in our rooms.

When we got older, we could watch a few more shows at night, if they were carefully selected. We watched Dukes of Hazzard. On Saturday nights, we watched The Muppet Show and on Sunday nights we watched The Wonderful World of Disney.

I remember my dad staying up late and watching sports or a late night show, like Johnny Carson. My mom didn't stay up with him. I think she was too tired to stay up. As a mom, I can relate. I don't stay up watching TV now, either.

In elementary school, I loved to go down the street to my friend Karen Gruber's house. She was allowed to watch show after show after show once she got home from school. It was like a dream land for me. Not only that, but her mom bought all the best junk food you can imagine. Froot Loops, candy, Twinkies, Ding Dongs. All the stuff we never had!



Comments

Popular Posts