Age on the inside

This is a hard one to write about.

I think I always feel younger on the inside than I actually look on the outside. Come to think of it, I think I perceive myself as looking younger on the outside than I actually do to others. Sometimes I have to really look and ask myself, "Is this too young for me? Am I trying to be something I am not?"

Age seems to me to be so much a perception. I mean, obviously there are things about age that are true to most people.

Most of us have to start wearing readers in our 40s.

Most of us women will start to lose muscle tone in our 40s unless we do something to keep it up and build it.

If we have had children, our bodies will probably tell us that things are not in the same place and don't work in quite the same way as they did before.

Most of us will feel physical effects of getting older whether we want to or not. My chiropractor used to say all the time, "We're all wearing out. We just want to do it slowly and evenly." I think of that often.

But back to the question. I feel younger than I actually am, but not significantly younger. I don't feel like I am 18 or even 29. When I was those ages, there was so much I didn't know, so much I hadn't experienced.

In fact, it wasn't until I was in my 40s that my heart actually broke. And that is something that gives your life a whole new perspective. When you heart breaks for the first time, then you begin to learn things, to gain things (even as you lose), to develop ways of thinking about the world that will inform you for the rest of your life and deeply inform your worldview.


Comments

Popular Posts