Play

What are your happiest memories of playing? Or how do you like to play now?

My favorite memories of childhood playing always involved make-believe.

With my best-friend-who-was-kind-of-like-a-cousin, Debbie, we used to play nursery with all the baby dolls and the stuffed animals. We would set them all out on blankets in her playroom and then take care of them and all the troubles that young dollies bring.

With my other best friend, Virginia, we played Little House on the Prairie every single time we were together. Virginia had a play house in her basement (never the mind the fact that she had a basement! NO ONE I knew had a basement growing up.) and I was always Laura and she was always Mary. When we ran out of actual stories from the books to re-enact, we would make up our own tales. For example, there was the little-known tale of Laura and Mary and the Pink Elephants. My younger brother, Clayton, was always roped in to playing Almanzo, and I can't say he really liked it. He never did it the way we thought he should do it, and I'm sure we were pretty bossy about it.

Virginia and I also used to play mad scientist in her downstairs powder room (we didn't have a powder room either). I have a clear memory of putting fancy lotion and powder in the little mouth rinsing cup from the counter. I think I remember that her mom was not pleased with that particular game.

In our own backyard, my brothers and I liked to play with our Adventure People. These were figurines of hikers and ambulance drivers and they came with tiny backpacks and Jeeps. The best was when we could get away with running the hose in the sand box and make rivers and lakes for them to ford. Of course, in the desert of Arizona, moms don't let their kids run the hoses without good cause. And our Adventure People didn't make the cut. 




Comments

Popular Posts