Needing Assistance

When was a time I needed assistance? Oh, the times are so many. But I will write about when I was 14 years old and had just had my appendix out. 

I was very, very sick, because my appendix had abscessed. To ward off infection, (this is gross), they left my gaping abdominal wound open for a while. It was freaky. I could look inside my body. Weird anytime, but especially when you are 14.

I was very weak and needed assistance to stand, to walk, to use the bathroom. Additionally, I had a tube down my throat for a few days and could not talk. I remember a conversation I had with one of my good friends, Brannon, on a yellow legal pad. He was so worried about me, and I didn't have enough perspective or knowledge to understand that his worry was founded. 

I remember the pain of walking after abdominal surgery and needing to lean on someone for a long time.

** This one is a 4 minute memoir because of time constraints. 




Comments

Popular Posts