Graham Crackers

Graham crackers remind me of Sunday school. They especially make me think of teaching Sunday school, and carefully breaking off two slender rectangles for each child, and placing them carefully on a paper towel on the low table.

But I think they also remind me of my own childhood attendance at Sunday school. I don't remember going to Sunday school very often, though I think we did go sometimes. And I feel like graham crackers were a part of the snack time there.

I vaguely feel that perhaps graham crackers were a part of pre-school snack time as well, though that very well could be a projection onto that long-ago time. My memories of preschool involve a purple sweater (was I wearing it or was my teacher, Mrs. Burrows?); blowing soap bubbles with a straw in a plastic bowl; climbing outside on a jungle gym; feeling shy pretty often; and riding a tricycle on a patio. 

When the children were little, graham crackers were a staple snack. Why? What is graham? Sometimes I would buy the healthy Whole Foods brand of graham crackers; they were never as good. They were wooden, bland, not sweet in the least.

My favorite kind of graham cracker is a little bit soft, as if the package has been open for a day or two. I like them with milk.

Nowadays, we often have graham crackers in the cupboard, just in case we need to make s'mores. Or have a little snack.



Comments

Popular Posts