Things I Listen To

There are many things I hear, but what are the things I listen to? 

When I am at church music practice, I try to really listen to all the parts, not just my own, to see if we are together. Is the drum fitting in? Who is holding the tempo? I think we need to speed up. Why can't I hear the guitar? Oops, that note I just sang was pretty flat. I'm need to remember more breath on this part, more support. Is the percussion adding too much or just the right amount? I listen.

When I sang in choirs (which I miss in the innermost parts of my being), we learned to listen to each other. We especially needed to listen to the bass section, because they are the anchors and we need to match ourselves to them.

There are been a few albums which I've listened to in the last years, which has meant so much to me and the Lord has used to minister to my soul. Both of Ellie Holcomb's last two albums have been a balm to my soul as I have suffered my own depression and been witness to the depression and anxiety of my son. The pain of this world is so real, and Ellie does not shy away from singing about it. I listen, closely, to her words and how she tells me about the Father's steadfast love.

I listen to podcasts when I am at work and it's too quiet. I get too much in my head, and I need some comforting talking in the background. Sometimes I just hear and don't listen, when I am working and my brain must attend my task. But the sound is still a help, and often I will stop so I can really listen.

Of course, I want to say I listen to people. Which I do. But those didn't come to mind to write about. It's just 8 minutes, people. 

This doesn't have to do with the prompt. But there are a few signed copies of the new John Green novel here in my local grocery store! I was amazed.

Comments

Popular Posts