Something small that makes you happy

I was struggling to know what to write on this prompt, because there seem to be many small things which make me happy!

But as I sit here at the dining room table in the very early morning, a bit anxious for the day ahead, worried about the future, aching in my body, our black lab, Fenway, walked under the table and lay down so that his head was resting on my feet. And then I knew what to write about!

Fenway brings so much joy to our lives, but there are two things about him that I would not have anticipated to be such a comfort. Sitting anywhere -- the sofa, at the table, outside -- and having a furry, warm, soft footrest is simply a delightful and comforting thing. Fenway is not sensitive about his body. We can put our feet on him, lay on him, hug him (maybe more than he prefers), and he patiently tolerates it. He likes being near us. The fact that he is under the table at this very moment, just being with me, feels like care from the Lord to me.

Fenway snores pretty often. His snore is deep, slow and sounds like the sound of pure contentment, peace, true rest. His undisturbed snore reminds me that I, too, can find that rest when I will lean back into my heavenly Father and trust Him completely. In my fallenness, I have anxiety, I worry, I can't sleep. But Fenway doesn't worry about a thing. Fenway's snoring reminds me that there is a trust to be found when we let ourselves be carried by the Lord, knowing that the future belongs to Him and that everything is yes and amen in Him.

Selah.



Comments

Popular Posts