Outside Classroom

I have had so many amazing outside classroom experiences that I'm not sure which one to write about.
Here are the ones I can think of:
1. Pioneer Days in 5th grade when we had to build a covered wagon, make hard tack, and do a land rush to stake our claim out on the playing field.

2. A trip to a working ranch in Southern Arizona in high school. We spend time outside, but I am not sure what I learned. That one wasn't so successful.

3. Living and studying in Spain during my junior year of college. This experience was transformative for me. It was my second time to go to Europe, but my first time to live with a host family and navigate all my travels and arrangements by myself. This trip definitely changed my life. I would not have become a Spanish major if I hadn't had that semester abroad.

4. While teaching at a independent school in Arlington, MA, we took a group of 7th and 8th graders to the Dominican Republic for 10 days and experiences learning in a different culture. We had many adventures! I wonder if it changed their lives. This was the trip which convinced me that I must find a way to send my children to camp. And I did! God provided.

5. At the same school, another year, we took a group of 7th and 8th graders to New York City for two days so that we could visit Ellis Island and the Lower East Side. This was connected to a year-long study of immigration. This was one of my favorite trips with students because I found it so interesting myself.

6. I just got back from two days at a camp along the Frio River with my daughter and her 6th grade school team. There is something about being outside that calms children, and brings a new perspective. Imagine if we could do more.










Comments

Popular Posts