Libraries

The first library that I remember is the Wilmot branch of the Tucson Public Library. I remember the avocado green carpet, and that there was a semi-spiral sloping ramp that went down into a reading area. That was in the grown-up section.

The children's section was further back, and I can't recall it as well. But I remember clearly the check-out area, and the foyer, tiled and with flyers for all sorts of events on the bulletins boards. I remember the library always being cool (which is of course quite important when you live in a place like Tucson).

My favorite library of all time is the Cambridge Public Library, main branch, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. This library was renovated and updated while we lived in the area, and its update is stunning. The old stone building is connected to a glass and metal structure, full of light and with a striking red staircase going up the middle of the building. 

The children's room is upstairs and is immense. I loved taking our children there, especially Lucy, as often as we could. We meet Theo's tutor there several times. I used to go there just to study and read if I needed to prepare for something.

In college, there were three libraries that were important to me. The Woodruff Library, where the stacks were located, is tall, imposing, quiet, utilitarian,spooky at night. I used to find a carrel on one of the floors and just study and write late at night. Kind of weird, but I was a quite, lonely studier.

The Pitts Theological Library was also a beautiful, quiet space, filled with comfortable chairs and beautiful windows. I used to go there to study and read. It wasn't open quite as late as Woodruff, so I had to plan my time there carefully.

Candler Library was the social library. It was the library with study rooms you could either reserve or just take over. Of course, a study room can either be a great way to avoid distractions, or it can be a big distraction in itself. This was the library to go to if you wanted to meet up with others, or study while talking. I didn't frequent this one quite as much (big nerd).

The first time I went in our current public library, which is beautiful and airy and quite a good asset to our small town, I actually wept. I wept for all that I had left and lost. I was comparing it to the big city libraries I had loved and I felt the lack. I still feel the lack, but not nearly as acutely as I did then. 



Comments

Popular Posts